Saturday, January 15, 2011

"Night Runner"

Night Runner
4 layer reduction using 6 colors
5.5" x 7"(image) 7.5" x 11.5" (paper)
Oil-based inks on Rives BFK
Edition of 4

This is a study of a horse I created for a friend. It is the second study where I bring out the grain over the whole block (using a wire brush), and I think I'll do more. The composition of the grain in this block successfully suggests a rolling landscape and windy sky, both of which emphasize swift movement of the horse. Some of the light blue areas and dark brown shadows on the horse's body cause it to slip into the background, resulting in a ghostly appearance. I imagine myself standing in a sparse landscape at night, lit only by the moon and its reflection on thinning, swirling clouds. A cool wind chills the bare skin on my arms, raising goosebumps. Suddenly there is movement in my peripheral vision, and I glance to see the horse gallop by. Its hooves make no sound against the grassy ground. I turn my gaze to the place from where the horse emerged, a dark forest perhaps, then return for a doubletake to make sure, but the horse is already gone, leaving me to wonder if my mind is playing tricks.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I love this print! The knot in the wood looks like the moon swirling above the ghostly steed. The grain suggests the ever moving landscape. Water? earth? sand? the wind? The horse a part yet a pace away from it all. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've used the grain!

    ReplyDelete