Wednesday, June 22, 2011

#22 - 30 Prints in 30 Days (Purple Owl Take 2)

"Purple owl II"
Water based ink on cream-colored Stonehenge paper
5.5" x 8" (image) 7.5" x 10" (paper)
Artist's Proof

This is an attempt to improve on the first Purple Owl print. Unfortunately, even though I spent twice as much time drawing, carving, and printing this image, its main achievement so far is helping me better appreciate its predecessor. In the first Purple Owl, I felt the colors were the strongest part. But here, the same color scheme just doesn't work as well. Perhaps because the drawing in the first print was so much more simple and stylized, and the owl in that image had a more expressive expression, the warm, subtle color scheme served as a compliment. But in this print, the drawing is more naturalistic, which matches nicely with the emphasized grain of the wood, but the colors don't seem to add much. I guess they just bore me in this print. I think I know what tomorrow's print will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment